North Sea E&P company - Subsurface Abandonment Basis of Design
Our client was planning to permanently plug and abandon 37 wells for number of late life fields in the North Sea. Axis has an extensive decommissioning track record, and they requested our support to develop a subsurface basis of design for each well that identified the permeable zones in the reservoir and overburden and that could subsequently be used to justify the number and location of zonal isolation barriers.
To achieve this we provided a multidisciplinary subsurface +wells team to carry out the following activities:
- Data review.
- Develop detailed understanding of permeable (and suitable cap) zones in exploration, appraisal and development wells, including,
- Seismic interpretation (to assess areal extent)
- Log analysis (to assess lateral connectivity)
- Pressure analysis (to understand communication)
- Geomechanics (to understand pore and frac gradients)
- Develop regional structural and geological understanding
- Develop understanding of connected zonal volumes and pressures
- Identify zones for isolation and suitable barrier locations
- Prepare detailed Subsurface Basis of Design documentation
- Prepare detailed handover to clients Well Basis of Design team
This project was highly successful and provided the client with the detailed justification to both reduce the number of barriers and identify the shallowest possible barrier depths to isolate each permeable zone.
For more information please contact our experts.